[thelist] thanks and easy questions

Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Wed Sep 13 12:01:22 CDT 2000

> I know there is a trick for making an indented
> list with the heading flush left and the equivalent of
> a <br> between the heading and the first indented list
> item. Everything I am trying (<blockquote>, <ul>) leads
> to a full line space instead.

hi martha

you may hear some css suggestions, feel free to try them -- you will learn
lots, it is time well spent -- but the following works quite adequately in
all browsers that i've tested --

i'm *not* suggesting css is the wrong way to go here, but you did seem to
hint that you wouldn't mind using a "trick"

with css you would set the margin and/or padding attributes of the heading
and/or unordered list tags, maybe to zero, maybe to -5, maybe something
else -- remember, css margins and padding do not work in all browsers, and
do not work the same way in all browsers, so you should be prepared to
play around for a long time to get this working the way you want, and also
be willing to accept that it doesn't work in some browsers, certainly not
in non-css browsers, but also not if javascript is turned off and you're
using an external style sheet...

me, personally, i don't bother with any of it, i mean, i just code the
header and the ul and let the browser display it the way it wants, using
the default margin or border -- a full line space, as you pointed out --
but if it's really necessary, i will use the table trick above

p.s. thanks for the kind words about thelist

and thanks for the easy questions, those are the ones i personally like
answering, as they match my skill level so nicely   ;o)

rudy
r937.com