[thelist] VoDSL

Tony Grimes algrimes at acs.ucalgary.ca
Thu Sep 14 01:06:41 CDT 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, James Spahr wrote:

> on 9/13/00 11:51 PM, Daniel J. Cody at dcody at oracular.com wrote:
>
> > Voice over DSL? Ok. Basically thats the same as voice over IP(VOIP). TO
> > cut my average post length down, here's the skinny:
>
> Are you positive?
>
> Residential aDSL can support voice (if the telco supports the option). I was
> under the impression that it does not run over tcp/ip. It cuts your dsl
> bandwidth down to make room in the framing for voice, so you have less
> bandwidth when the phone is in use.

     Hopefully, to stop any unecessary battles of the bat I should
mention that I first heard about it from BoardWatch in this article:

http://boardwatch.internet.com/mag/2000/may/bwm78.html

     They seem to be making a big deal over it, but I can't figure out any
immediate advantage in sending voice over the Internet. I'm sure in 10-20
years the Internet will be fast enough for anything we fire down the pipe,
but I thought the current phone network would be adequate enough for now.
There must be something I'm missing. What more does the Internet offer
other than convergence?

.tony