[thelist] tip and apology (was tip: funny things and error messages)

apatrick at oracular.com apatrick at oracular.com
Fri Sep 15 11:31:29 CDT 2000

|> btw, if you want your tip to get picked up by the tip extractor, don't get
|> fancy with the markup....

Sorry, it's my mail client acting
belligerent...I don't think this one will be any better.

I learned recently that this is something
that bears repeating a few times for people
new to DBMSs and larger table sizes.

<|tip type="DBMS"|>
USE INDEXES! USE INDEXES! USE INDEXES!

Index tables based on the criteria you will
use the most which is generally the most
unique criteria.  You will almost always see
a *noticable* improvement in performance if
you index properly.

Think of it this way.  How long would it
take you to find what you want in a book
without the index?  Even in a
[relatively] small book, it helps a lot.

(watch the wrap)  Check out
http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2986
for more information.
<|/tip|>