[thelist] Job pursuit

David Shadovitz david_shadovitz at xontech.com
Fri Sep 15 14:04:48 CDT 2000

Hello all,

A young acquaintance is looking for work using her VB and general web
skills.
Part-time, full-time, or freelance.
Based around Lakewood, New Jersey, or telecommute.

Any recommendations on how she should develop leads?  Much obliged.

<tip type="debugging" author="David Shadovitz">
Following up on a recent tip which advised programmers to be sure to
comment out debug lines in production code:
Consistently preface your debug lines with some string (such as "DEBUG"
or your initials) so that they can easily be searched for and rooted
out.  Alernatively, have an application-wide flag which determines
whether the debug code is activated, and then be sure to toggle it off.
</tip>

<tip type="ColdFusion" author="David Shadovitz">
If your query selects two identically-named fields, ColdFusion will
return only one.  So be sure to use an alias so that you can refer to
each field.
Example: The query "select employer.comments, employee.comments where
..." will return only *one* "comments" field.  You'd want to use "select
employer.comments, employee.comments as employee_comments where ...".
Note that I'm referring to fields which are not primary/foreign keys;
those fields would be identical and so getting back only one wouldn't be
a hardship.
Oracle's SQL-Plus (and every other tool, I suspect) has no problem with
identically-named fields.  I've filed a request to fix this on Allaire's
Feature Request forum, http://forums.allaire.com/devconf/main.cfm.
(Boy, I sure hope I haven't already posted this.)
</tip

-David