a horse! my kingdom for an XHTML horse! was RE: [thelist] Tablesvs Layers

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 21:10:39 CDT 2000

> From: Erika Meyer
>
> >so?
>
>  From the client standpoint, XHTML =
> forwards-compatibility.

ahhh... cuz browsers in the future won't support HTML...
after all, it's so radically different from XHTML and all...

i don't mean to sound snotty, but i do... anyway, if you
have a DTD, what does it matter?  did support for HTML 2.0
or 3.2 fall away? i know it's not exactly the same, but with
the similarity between HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0, the parsers
are gonna be able to handle HTML in browsers for years to
come...

and think of all the 'legacy' pages that will exist... and
how many will have been built by the major browser
manufacturers?  their own sites probably won't change to
XHTML, certainly not strict, for some time to come... after
all, they want *everyone* to be able to d/l their browser...

>  From the author's standpoint, working with XHTML
> is preparation for
> continuing use of XHTML and XML down the road.

continuing use is the same as starting it in case you
haven't already... and if you haven't got a reason to start
it, why continue it? ...uh...

it's the XML reason i can understand, but not much beyond
that... not yet, at least...

> HTML is dead!  Long live XHTML!

i thought it was "HTML is dead !  Long live HTML !"