[thelist] Crumb-trail navigation with SSI on Windows?

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sat Sep 16 12:37:00 CDT 2000

Hey, all.

Over the years I've seen many uses of the crumb-trail "you are here"
navigation metaphor.

I've never had any need for it in the past on any of the sites I've worked
on, but an intranet site I'm designing now could really benefit from it.

In this case, the site is small enough that I can implement the trail by
hand, but working on the project has awoken my curiosity about how to do
this "for real," where the trail is generated live when the page is served.

I've done some research online, but all the tutorials concern themselves
with UN*X implementations, and I'd be setting up this site on an NT box
running IIS 4.0 or something close to that.

Anyone have any pointers to tutorials for this?  If this can't be done
using SSI on Windows, would I be looking at some sort of HTML
preprocessor?  IIRC, PHP requires installation on the server, so that is
right out, but some preprocessor that works during the "build" of the
static pages would be okay with me... I think I could make this happen with
the BBEdit Includes features on my Mac at home, for instance, but am
unaware of anything like that using HomeSite on PC.

Any hints?

-Jorah