[thelist] .lasso

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Sat Sep 16 20:50:19 CDT 2000

> From: "martin burns" <martin at lists.evolt.org>
> At 00:13 17/09/00, McCreath_David wrote:
> >As someone in the middle of this process, it might have more to do with
the
> >direction that the IT department is moving. If there are a bunch of other
> >servers already moving to NT, it makes some sense to move the web server,
> >too.
>
> "Resistance is futile..."

Just because I think the Borg have the appropriate technology for my
particular task, that doesn't mean I've been assimilated. Or was that a
reference to the Vogons? 2x:)

> >Especially if you have a well-trained and knowledgeable NT staff who
> >happen to know nothing about OSX or Apache.
>
> Well-trained? Knowledgeable? Knowing nothing about Apache?
> Cognative dissonance time.

Key word being NT. I know lots of people who know NT that know nothing about
Apache. Granted, they don't know much about IIS, but they feel comfortable
recommending something from MS as opposed to something open source. (I know,
I know...Apache is more widely used than IIS and you can run Apache on
Windows and if they don't know anything about Apache or IIS, what the hell
are they doing recommending a web server...)

> >We're certainly getting no perks from M$ for
> >our switch-over
>
> What did you do to upset Bill? :-)

I don't know! He won't return my calls, he won't return my email...I even
made a pretty rainbow-spectrum poster of him the last time I knew the Apple
rep was coming to visit! ;p

> >I think it sounds like they (UP) have had some turnover in the IT
department
> >and the new folks know NT and don't know Mac.
>
> I'm just wondering if they knew enough of anything else to properly
evaluate
> the options. I've known far too many Tech Strat people who have that
blinkered
> view. And there's enough evidence of Universities getting pressured at
some
> level to go homogenous Windows, even dropping support for non-win clients
> in some cases, for me not to be suspicious.

THAT is entirely possible. Our department's conversation about the
appropriate platform for web services was long and arduous at the urging of
me and the other webdev...ranging from Netscape server on an Alpha to Apache
on RedHat to IIS (sub discussion over W2K vs NT4) and in the end it was a
group decision. I don't think that kind of pressure is being applied to
K-12's yet, though. We're still too small a market and Apple has actually
made some inroads back into it after giving it up around the cloning days.

FWIW, I can't wait to see the full version of OSX with Apache, especially if
it can take advantage of the dual-G4 machines.

I guess we'll just have to wait for Erika to start her new job to tell
what's REALLY going on.

Dave