[thelist] Do they know what they are doing?

Luther, Ron RLuth at telxon.com
Tue Sep 19 09:30:38 CDT 2000

Hi Peter,

(Sorry ... had to pounce!    :-)    )

Pick an area of human endeavor --- any area --- your choice ..... Business?
.... Sports? .... Love? ... Literature? .... Gambling/Handicapping? ...
Lawmaking? ... Fellow drivers on the freeway? .... Browser Manufacturers?
.... International Computer Standards Bodies? ..... Olympic Organizing
Committees? ..... whatever you want ....

{Caveat/Note ... this group you select must involve more that ... oh ...
lets say ... three .... people.}

Now convince me that everyone involved ... everyone "empowered" in the
primary decision making process .... IS competent!

I think you see the point!

... You were thinking the web should be different, maybe? ... Oy!

Ron L.

... and cuz I owe a bunch ... here's one that struck me last night ... after
much beating my head against the wall ...

<tip>
Feeling reasonable confident (I woulda said 'competent', but I think I'm
gonna avoid that word today!) in your SQL abilities?

Can get the database to pretty much do what you want with a REAL relational
DB?

Now try (and this is striking me more and more as an oxymoron every day)
using SQL and ACCESS.

In your "GROUP BY" ... every single element you select had better be either
a component of the GROUP BY clause itself ... or used in a summary function
for that group!!

Once you realize, (gosh I sure hope this is right), that ACCESS works this
way ... you'll code those simple GROUPs much much faster.

</tip>