[thelist] CF and Arrays?

Luther, Ron RLuth at telxon.com
Thu Sep 21 07:50:22 CDT 2000

Hi Frank,

Hypothetical situations 'R Us!!     :-)    (I've only been playing with CF
for 2 or 3 weeks! ... Maybe Seth will chime in with some "real" situations!)

Anyway, I just read through arrays and structures a few days ago - I haven't
played with them yet ... {Dammit Jim, I need more time!!}    My first
thought was that these COULD come in very handy in "structuring" data
sitting in plain ASCII files that were generated by some old CGI scripts.

e.g. Lets say the client has a CGI/Perl script that collects information
from users and stores it in a flat text file - as Judy Tenuda says "It Could
Happen!". ....... (Or maybe you've snatched an old Guestbook script that
stores information in a flat text file ...)

Then you could use those nice CF arrays/structures to pull the information
out of the flat file, parse it on some simple delimiter, and "INSERT into
'a-real-db' ........" to update your database.

Now you have the information "properly" structured so you can run all your
nice <CFQUERY> buggers to your heart's content!!

I could be way off-base ... but that was the first "category" of
applications that occurred to me when I read through that feature a few days
ago....

HTH,

Ron L.