[thelist] perl vs php with mysql?

Eduardo Dominguez edmz at emonterrey.com
Thu Sep 21 11:30:13 CDT 2000

First of all, I am a php programmer with very little experience in perl.

What i have heard/seen of perl, is that there are tons of ways to accomplish
one defined task, so reading someone elses code can be very frustrating.

There are a couple of things to consider for speed. Either language you
choose,
try to go with the its apache mod, that is, no cgi. Why ? because php or
perl
will be running in apache's space (they will be compiled _with_ apache) and
wont be
called each time that they are requested.

Php has great documentation online and its anotated manual. For what i have
seen
php is faster than perl, specially version php4.0 which uses de Zend
optimization
engine. I dont have the urls at hand for the benchmarks.

Hope this random thoughts help a little.