[thelist] CF? content management HELP!

Peter Van Dijck peter at vardus.com
Sat Sep 23 15:07:20 CDT 2000

>I envision  (down the road) templates & forms which will allow faculty,
>staff, etc, to update/modify information in their respective areas in a
>simple & controlled manner.  Smart? Feasible?

very. templates are the way to go in your case, and most cases actually...
There is always a trade-off between templates and versatility, but that's
ok. First thing to do for you would be make a huge list of all possible
types of content, and how often and by who they're updated. (also think
about future types of content). Then, from that work out how complex a
template system you need...

>I hear there's a Cold Fusion users group locally... and once I get a 'net
>connection I can spend some time reading up on Evolt backend articles...
>and some of the old webmonkey articles... what else might help
>me?  On-line tutorials?  Mailing lists?

yes, all of those definitely.

>I think I need to focus on one or two technologies to start (Cold Fusion)
>lest I become totally overwhelmed.

yes, coldfusion I'd say. then, later on you can get into spectra (CMS).
Good luck, and ask away!
Peter