[thelist] css question: no spaces after a line....

Andy Olsen andyo at inxpress.net
Mon Oct 2 11:08:21 CDT 2000

I tried this workaround and it didn't work. Line spacing is for lines
within paragraphs, not after paragraphs.

Wouldn't an outside DIV take precedence over the H? tag? (As outlined in
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/structure.html ) In a sane world,
yes. Standards would be set and companies would follow them. But, nooooooo.
It doesn't work in either IE or NS, but does in Opera.

The only workaround I can find is to specify a property tag that will
"replace" use of headings. Then, this can be used through the DIV, or
<SPAN> tag. I've done this on another web site, http://www.wisconsun.org
and it worked on CSS-compliant browsers (which the client understood and
accepted).

I have this problem in IE 5 and NS4.7x, but not Opera 4. (Go, Opera!)

But, did I say "replace?" Well, what happens when one replaces the H1 tag
with a div  and the user does not have a CSS-compliant browser? Well, then
they simply see a paragraph break. No heading formatting. The workaround
requires much more markup than I want to stuff into my web pages.

I guess you can't get there from here.