[thelist] Email Icons?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 2 14:02:35 CDT 2000

On 2 Oct 00, at 13:06, Bonnie McCoy wrote:

> I've gotten a request that has really stumped me. I'm being asked to
> make "customized icons" that will make it simple for staff that aren't
> computer savvy to access online manuals.
>
> 1. When clicked on, they will open specific html pages on an intranet,
>
> 2. They will be customized to reflect the contents of the pages that
> they point to, and offer a "separate set for Netscape and IE"

ok, this part ain't so hard... it's just (assuming this is a Wintel
environment) an 'Internet Shortcut' (a bookmark or a favorite)... in
both IE and NN you can drag the current page to your own
desktop... then you can change the icon to whatever you want
(right-click, choose properties, choose 'Change Icon', but read on)...

>  and
>
> 3. Be capable of being emailed and "dragged from the email to the
> desktop"

this is tricky... depending on the email client, the machines, etc.,
you may not be able to keep the icons... if you set up the icons on
a network machine *everyone* has access to, or you make the
icons part of everyone's profile download, then it can work... for
instance, the icon path might be "\\foo_server\icons\foo.ico"...

> This is supposed to I can certainly make the icons but I'm not sure
> how to set the target references and package them for the email drag
> and drop part, or how to separate them according to browser. Any ideas
> would be gratefully accepted.

making them for separate browers seems kinda silly... but you can
ask your local windows-lackey to help you out...

you might have to append the URL to the browser executable path
(which can be a bitch if folks don't all have the same install), or you
could try to (somehow) call the browser in the shortcut...

or you could just drag them from the appropriate browser and test
'em...

can you tell i'm not testing this?