[thelist] Harvester: Plagiarism, or Permission?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 10:15:02 CDT 2000

passing an email around is one thing... when we all post to the list,
we know it gets read by 1,000 or so people, and it gets added to
the list archives, which technically 5 or 6 billion people have
access to...  passing it around is like passing around its URL... no
problem...

publishing it in some way, however, is a bit different... publishing it
to a print thing, a site, an audio stream, the Goodyear blimp, all
should be treated differently... it would be very good web-karma to
ask *everyone* who's post you are going to use before you use it...

i highly doubt anyone will say "no" (unless you are posting these
tips as tattoos on the asses of some porn stars for a geek-porn
video you are making (need actors?))...

as for the people posting from Anderson and lawyer offices, they
really should be posting from a personal account so that we don't
have to worry about their disclaimers, but ultimately, treat the email
as if it belongs to the person is my approach...