[thelist] Linux/PHP/MySQL advantages over WinNT/ASP/MSSQL?

Lauri Väin optima at hot.ee
Thu Oct 5 13:26:39 CDT 2000

Steve (and everybody),

> or the consultancy company do it and it takes more time. Well, I would
> suggest that perhaps you draw up a priority list of your tasks. Check the
> list with your manager and get some idea of which areas of your job are most
> important. That will help you define a plan of action - and will give you
> some ammunition when people come to you and say "Hey, can you do this for
> me?". You'll then be in a position where if you think you have time, you can
> say "Yes, sure", but if you are stressed to hell you can say "You'll need to
> get the consultants to take care of that".

I didn't think of it - Thanks!

> Don't sweat it :-) I can understand that you were pissed in your first post.
> I prolly would have been too! It's real difficult when you're the one who's
> in the firing line and suddenly someone comes and takes away your gun!
> (Awful analogy, but I think you get my drift).

How exactly does somebody come on such an analogy - It's brilliant :-)

> Of course, it's always difficult to learn a new language - especially when
> you're in the middle of 100 other jobs which HAVE to be done next week :-)

Aaaah, if the work would be the only thing that "eats" my time away - I also
have school and training(I do competiton shooting) plus I try to learn PHP. And
now of course comes ASP - jipppeee!

> I've always found though, that having a definite goal (such as integrating a
> voting script into a system in a new language) really helps the learning
> process. You're mileage may vary of course....

I took project to develop the CV service for an IT portal (in PHP), it's a great
way to learn!

Yours,
Lauri