[thelist] Re: Macs and MS FTP...

Frank framar at interlog.com
Thu Oct 5 22:58:34 CDT 2000

>  I have a work-around but it's a pain. For directory
>  listings I just type CMD-Period and continue working.
>  Easy enough. But file transfers are more problematic. I
>  can download a file but since the transfer never appears
>  to complete, when I type CMD-Period the file is deleted
>  from the download folder. The work-around is that I
>  leave the ftp prgram spinning along, locate the file in
>  the finder, duplicate it, return to ftp and do the
>  CMD-period. The file being downloaded is deleted but my
>  copy is still there intact.

YES! YES! YES! DEAR GOD! I'M NOT ALONE!

It sure would be nice if we could solve this. This has been one of my
worst problems of late. I've often had to try several times to
download a simple 2 text file. Downloading a directory is out of the
question.

Using Interarchy, I did a TCP trace ('traffic' in Interarchy) and
there was one and only one noticeable difference. The FTP server
frequently fails to say "Ok, I'm all done now".

I've included the files that I've sent to my ISP with more detail.
Find it here:

http://www.framarstudios.com/misc/MSFTP_Sucks.zip

The 8k file includes a contrastive analysis of the same file being
downloaded successfully, and one that failed. I repeated this about
10 times, each time with exactly the same result.

Contents not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities,
aircraft navigation or communication systems, air traffic control
systems, life support machines or other equipment in which the failure
of the information could lead to death, personal injury, or severe
physical or environmental damage.

--
Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com