[thelist] color blindness

martin burns martin at lists.evolt.org
Fri Oct 6 13:22:54 CDT 2000

At 18:51 06/10/00, Frank wrote:
>a) Useful

yes

>b) Aesthtically pleasing

yes - I think so.

>c) Usable by people with full/partial/no colour vision

yes (except for my photo pages which are (a) inherently
visual and (b) still to be retrofitted into the new design)

>d) Usable by people with no vision whatsoever

yes (except for photo pages as above)

>e) Usable by people who are totally, partially deaf

yes

>f) Usable by people who can't use a keyboard or mouse

yes (one or other - probably both too)

>g) Usable by people with low end hardware

yes

>h) Usable by people with low end software

yes

>i) Usable by people with a 300 baud modem (think Africa)

yes - did you see the 5k awards?

>j) Usable by people who speak a language other than your own (a minimum of 85)

Not as yet, but could without *too* much work

>k) Usable by people with certain religious/political sensibilities

yes

>l) Usable by people of different cultures whose symbology is different.

yes

>m) Usable by people of varying degrees of education

yes - although this will depend on the subject matter

>n) Usable by people who have some/none/all of your plug-ins

yes

>o) Usable by people with lower IQ's, or who are very tired or overworked

yes - see education too

>AND still make it bring in more money for the client than they spent?

Yes.

See http://www.easyweb.co.uk/

Even if it has been described as 'the bastard child of Zeldman and
Jakob'.

Seriously, the way to get the vast majority of these right is
(a) to follow the WAI guidelines
(b) to have a mostly text site which doesn't depend completely
     on its presentational layer to make sense.

For both, you'll be using HTML as it should be used - primarily
structurally - and adding stylesheets for the majority of the
presentational nicities.

Cheers
Martin

Martin Burns, Content Management Consultant
tel: +44 (0)778 068 6418
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=9&uid=32
http://www.easyweb.co.uk/