[thelist] color blindness

AtdtXav atdtxav at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 14:55:32 CDT 2000

> Not to play "I'm more handicapped than YOU are," but I can
> assure you that color perception can get worse than that.  The
> other day I was at work, wearing a green shirt (which I
> thought was grey) and mid-morning one of the admins goes "Hey,

> Jorah, why is there a huge red blotch on your shirt?"  My
> wife's sweater had bled all over the wash.  I couldn't see the
> stain even after it was pointed out to me.

Hm.  I have to admit the idea of being color-blind sort of
boggles me.
I know being on this list makes me want to see solutions for
everything *chuckle*, but maybe she can write the colors on the
inside tag?  Of course she's not going to write "Green with
blotchy red spots" or anything.  heh.

> Now, as to web sites, most of the time there are no problems,
> but I remember several sites I've stumbled across which
>counted on a contrast between text color and background color
>which didn't exist for me.  I had to "select all" on the page
>in order to change the colors to even see any text there.  If
>this happens in navigational elements, it can be disconcerting.

This happens for us, too. Sometimes someone chooses a color
change that is very similar, and my first instinct is to hilight
the page.  of course this does no good if it's an image.

> PS:  My great grand-dad saw only the color blue.  Everything
> else was grey.  Imagine if we had to design for him!  I am not
sure I've ever seen purple... it goes on and on...

Ok Ok, I realize that's a huge debilitation, but I can't help
wondering if that wouldn't look kind of cool.  *grin*

Scott