[thelist] CF: Deleting variables

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Fri Oct 6 19:12:18 CDT 2000

At 14:22 6/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

>from a rapid development perspective, using isDefined() is a very bad thing.
>there are a number of difficulties that i will address at another time for
>those that are interested.  it has such a negative impact on rapid
>development that we do not even use it here at work in our applications.

okay, please do explain why.

in all other programming languages the opposite is true, and you take care
to delete variables to save memory.

(i) if i have a huge amount of data in session variables which i only need
once, then yes i'd certainly like that data deleted.

(ii) CF provides *no* encapsulation! if that data is sensitive and must not
be accessible by other parts of the application, then yes i'd like that
data deleted.

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz