[thelist] isp dns caches not updating

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Mon Oct 9 10:30:30 CDT 2000

This is a proxy server thing, rather than
a DNS thing. A proxy won't bother updating
its records in some cases unless the page
actually changes.

This ought to hurry them up a little...

Replace the front page of the old copy with
a redirect to the numeric address of the new
one, and set it to not cache.

Or, just put up a message telling users
to Shift-Refresh the page. Or some combination
of the two.

If there aren't many accesses coming through,
I'm not sure I'd worry about it.

[Asks the group] I suspect that dumping the
old site entirely would probably also fix
this, but am I right?

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com