[thelist] Free Tip - royalty free maps

Ben Henick persist1_pdx at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 21:05:39 CDT 2000

--- Steve Cook <sck at biljettpoolen.se> wrote:
> <tip type="Design - Royalty free maps">
> http://www.geoatlas.com/
> </tip>

For those of you in the States who are completely broke, there is

http://tiger.census.gov/

While not nearly as complete as a commercial service, for maps of areas
in the U.S. this site is a winner - especially if you're looking to do
garden-variety stuff along the lines of state outlines.

There is also

http://pubweb.parc.xerox.com/map

Pros:
Entire planet in the DB
Multiple projections (as compared to only one for TIGER)
Low-tech (it's been around forever, with no updating)

Cons:
Lat/Long-based interface, no manual input
Few features, little detail
16:9 aspect view area

But generally if you're horribly crunched for cartography online, you
can get decent results from these places, adding what detail you need
by hand from other sources.

However, I've yet to hear of options for folks who need royalty-free
vector-based cartography but don't have money to spend.

Yeah, cartography is one of my hobbies.  Not that I've had time to
spend on it...

=====
Ben Henick              |  "In the long run, men hit only
Web Author At-Large     |  what they aim at.  Therefore,
www.io.com/persist1/    |  though they should fail
persist1 at io.com         |  immediately, they had better aim
persist1_pdx at yahoo.com  |  high."  --Henry David Thoreau