[thelist] SQL Indexes

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Fri Oct 13 02:05:58 CDT 2000

Hmmm, after reading the two recent threads on Select * and SQL Statement
Construction, I have come to the conclusion that I have a gaping hole in my
Database design knowledge. Indexes! I certainly know about creating primary
keys and the like, but how does one go about indexing?

Actually, now that I rack my brains, I remember using indexes in SQL server
(it's been a while), which seemed like an easy enough process, though I
can't say I ever really understood the importance or what one actually
*does* with them. Nowadays I'm using MySQL as my primary database server.

So what would be useful would be some general discussion of what indexes are
and how one uses them in general - then I can go to the MySQL documentation
and look up specific implementation.

Any takers?  :-)

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com