[thelist] Print Magazine digital design annual

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 17 13:19:45 CDT 2000

> From: "Patricia Meeks" <pmeeks at email.msn.com>
>
> I have that issue of Print and these are the type of sites I'd expect them
> to showcase. First, most creative folks could care less about hand coding
> (sorry) and they work under impossible deadlines.

everyone works under impossible deadlines, not just creatives...
and yeah, i understand most creatives don't care about coding, but
their implementation staff should...

> Second, in Print magazine, practicality and cost are not factors. If you are
> a regular reader, you'll rarely see anything but big budget work and clients
> with full color printing jobs using the latest ink and paper effects. Print
> is a runway fashion show for the industry where the design rules. Download
> times, optimization, browser compatibility and search engine placement just
> aren't factors.

i completely agree... they did, however, cite download times in their
intro and even in some of the synopses... it sounds like they
thought about downloading, but nothing much was said about
browsers... hell, they tested on a Mac only (near as i can tell),
which doesn't reflect the other 90% of the users at most of the i
build... but i don't expect that anyway, they are looking at eye-
candy, and if the eye-candy downloads fast, they're happy...

> Try not to get too bummed out over the issue but do keep Print around to
> seed ideas and watch for trends in color and typography to help keep your
> sites current.

not bummed out at all... in fact, one of my sites is in there...