[thelist] Non-Adobe PDF authoring software

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 17 14:49:12 CDT 2000

> From: jdowdell at macromedia.com (John Dowdell)
>
> Lots of tools create PDFs. Much may depend on what type of authoring you're
> doing. If creating multipage graphics, brochures and such, then FreeHand is
> excellent, and contains many of the compression controls you'll find in
> Distiller.

i am a FreeHand user, and i used to write to PDFs all the time...
ultimately, getting distiller and printing to PDF proved to be better
for me, though... FreeHand always had problems with our logo font
(Rubino Serif, Type1), and since so much of our stuff goes to PDF,
and since we needed to get it anyway, i now rely on Distiller all the
time...

one really nice thing about FreeHand is its ability to get into
PDFs... very handy for extracting line-art and such...