[thelist] Transferring Freehand Mac files to a PC

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at Brown.edu
Thu Oct 19 09:10:48 CDT 2000

At 12:56 AM +0200 10/19/00, Shoshannah Forbes wrote:
>I was sent a floppy with a file created with Mac freehand 5.
>I own freehand 8 for PC, and have to Mac experiance.
>How do I open the file with my windows freehand? Windows  (98) does not even
>recognize the formatting of the disk.

You don't have a Mac, do you? If you don't have a Mac, find a friend
who does. Have them copy the file to a DOS disk, and then you can
follow everyone else's directions. If you have a Mac, get a blank
disk, format it to DOS (Special | Erase Disk, choose DOS (NOT
ProDOS...that's Apple II stuff), and then copy the file from the Mac
disk to your drive, and then to the newly formatted disk.

I'd just hate to see you reformat the floppy if it's your only copy
of the file. :)

Last resort -- have the people who sent you the file format a DOS
disk on their Mac, then copy the file and send you that one.

Julia Frizzell                        http://www.netspace.org/~glyneth
julia_frizzell at brown.edu                   http://www.theblackroad.org
glyneth at netspace.org                                      ICQ: 8458071
"On a bad day, I have mood swings -- but on a good day, I have the
whole mood playground." -- Charles Rosenblum