[thelist] CGI cart vs PHP cart

Jen Worden jen at meadoworks.com
Wed Oct 25 10:21:38 CDT 2000

Hey Evolters!

I'm at the beginning of a really huge learning curve, getting our first
ecomm site online. This site will be small (only 10 items in multiple
colours) but I want to learn using the best system so I can build on the
experience and move on to larger projects.

Our webhost offers Alacart as their shopping cart but I need a much more
customizable approach, which of course means, I'm going to have to learn
this from scratch. So the question is : Which is better(and why) CGI or PHP?

I know nothing about PHP (but am willing to learn) and am a CGI hacker (ie.
I can hack up code with the best of them ;). Keep in mind, I'm only looking
for shopping cart comparisons not their various merits as a whole - unless
it makes a difference. *ugh* can you tell I'm completely out of my depth
here?!

Any and all comments, suggestions, opinions and rants welcomed!

cfn ... Jen
Jen Worden - Web Developer
meadoworks - http://www.meadoworks.com