[thelist] CF: Fusebox, Scoping & CGI Variables

Judith Taylor judi at frognet.net
Sat Oct 28 23:27:01 CDT 2000

Here's how Dave Watts (figleaf.com) explains the Request scope....

======BEGIN QUOTED MATERIAL=========

The Request scope is available to all scripts that are used within a single
response to a single HTTP request, whether those scripts are called directly
via the URL, or with CFINCLUDE or as custom tags. This scope was introduced
in CF 4.x. By default, nothing is stored in this scope unless you put it
there.

As for whether it's described in the documentation, I suspect that it's
mentioned at least.

There are at least a couple good uses for this scope. One is with deeply
nested custom tags. The Request scope will be available to all custom tags
within a page, no matter how deeply nested they are.

Another good use for the Request scope is for constants. Typically, people
use Application variables for things like datasource names and other
constants which don't change over the life of the application. Request
variables provide an alternative - and you don't have to worry about CFLOCK
with them. On the other hand, you'd need to create them again for each page
request, so you'd just plonk them down in application.cfm, typically.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

HTH,

Judith Taylor
Webmaster - http://www.busybobbins.com
ICQ: 67460562

Freelance ColdFusion Developer

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation
has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more
efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future.
--- Adolf Hitler, 1935