[thelist] Unix and NT? Confusion? What? Help!!!

Ben Henick persist1_pdx at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 13:52:21 CST 2000

As I've mentioned previously, I was forced for reasons of cost to
migrate a site from Linux/Apache to NT4/IIS.

I'm an idiot when it comes to NT Server; without shell access I'm
terribly crippled.

While I realize that it's not the responsibility of the admins to
educate me, even getting the most basic information (what books to buy,
how does this perl script work on YOUR server) has been like pulling
teeth.

Me:  "How do you..."
Admin:  [silence]
Me:  "Hello...?"
Admin:  "What do you mean?"

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so how do I make my life
easier without spending ungodly amounts of money that I don't have for
a development server at my site (which would defeat the purpose of
having switched hosting providers in the first place)?

I'm getting more and more frustrated by the day.  Any advice would be
welcome.

I am learning yet again that generally you get what you pay for.

=====
Ben Henick              |  "In the long run, men hit only
Web Author At-Large     |  what they aim at.  Therefore,
www.io.com/persist1/    |  though they should fail
persist1 at io.com         |  immediately, they had better aim
persist1_pdx at yahoo.com  |  high."  --Henry David Thoreau