[thelist] Sending mail from a domain

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Tue Oct 31 14:10:30 CST 2000

Michael Galvin wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have a few clients that have registered their domain and got hosting
> through a host-only ISP (ie, no dialup).  When they send mails, they want to
> be able to be sure that the address going out is me at mydomain.com, rather
> than me at myisp.ie.

ok.. pretty common thing..

> I've solved this temporarily by setting up an account in OE and getting them
> to select this account when sending.  However, a few of them are now wanting
> to avoid this type of manual work altogether (yes, they're lazy, which is

what is manual about this process? I assume you're just changing the
from tag in the OE configuration so that it has my at mydomain.com rather
than me at myisp.com ? If you do that and leave their incoming/outgoing
mailservers at myisp.com you shouldn't have any problems.

> So, I'd like to know what sort of options they have.  I guess they could get
> their own server, with Exchange on it.  Would that work with a dial-up ISP?
> Should they splash out on their own webserver, completely?  Isn't there some
> shareware apps that can handle this sort of thing?

That would be an infinitely more difficult solution. And it wouldn't
work well, espcially with a dial-up ISP.

> Basically, they want to send a mail from their desktop, addressed
> me at mydomain.com, it should pass through something, and get converted to
> me at myisp.ie, then get sent via the dial-up out to wherever, arriving as
> me at mydomain.com.

why would you want it to convert to me at myisp.com ? If you leave it as
me at mydomain.com you shouldn't have a problem sending it through the
ISP's mailservers..

Gimme some more info and we'll work this out :)

.djc.