[thelist] JavaScript: Accessing selectedIndex

Matthew Fischer mfischer at e-fishsolutions.com
Fri Nov 3 13:48:47 CST 2000

For your onChange event, you can simply use:

<select name='DReviewMonth' size='1' onchange=DateModify(this)>

If what you are trying to do is find out how many choices in your select list and which on is selected, you should use:

 function DateModify(TheSelect)
    {
    alert(TheSelect + " - " + TheSelect.options.length + " - " + TheSelect.selectedIndex);

If you want to know the value of the selectedIndex instead of the number, use:

 function DateModify(TheSelect)
    {
    alert(TheSelect + " - " + TheSelect.options.length + " - " + TheSelect.selectedIndex.value);

And remeber, if the fifth item in your select is the chosen one, the selectedIndex is [4], because the first item is [0].