[thelist] Mac caching problem?

Brian Tully btully at gstockco.com
Sat Nov 4 00:32:37 CST 2000

First thing would be to check your IE prefs and make sure that under your
"Advanced" tab, the Cache setting is set to Update pages "Always". You might
want to click on the "Empty Now" button to empty the cache - this will
ensure that your browser is seeing the latest info next time you go to the
site.

If this doesn't work, check with your ISP to see if you're connected thru a
web proxy.  If so, that would explain the lapse in updated info.

on 11/4/00 12:44 AM, Miraz Jordan at miraz at firstbite.co.nz wrote:

> I've pondered long on who to ask about an annoying problem I have
> when updating my website and after checking the FAQ have decided
> evolt would be a good place.
>
> I use a Mac with OS 9.0.4 to develop pages and then upload them using
> Interarchy ftp software to my server. I often end up making many
> small changes consecutively and reuploading maybe half a dozen times
> before I'm satisfied. So far so good.
>
> The problem comes when I try to check the newly uploaded page - with
> Internet Explorer 5, Netscape Communicator 4.74 and even Wannabe,
> text-only browser, the web browser often fails to show the new
> version of the page. Even Refresh / Reload and Super Reload don't
> work.
>
> Then I open up iCab and that also shows the old version, until I hit
> Reload, then the new version shows. Then I can also go back and
> reload into MIE etc and get the new version of the page.
>
> Naturally I have done things like set the cache to 0Mb, check page
> each time etc. This doesn't help.
>
> I'm on a cable modem with fixed IP address.
>
> I don't know whether the problem lies with my machine, my cable
> connection, my ISP or the server where the site is hosted.
>
> Does this problem afflict others? Any suggestions on how / where to
> begin the troubleshooting?
>

> <tip type="accessibility" author="Miraz Jordan">
> Use the Bobby validator to check that your pages are accessible to all:
> http://www.cast.org/bobby/
> </tip>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Miraz