[thelist] Offering contracts: Opinions on Etiquette?

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Sat Nov 4 11:43:20 CST 2000

> 1. I too have refused to show my code. I am willing to explain algorithms,
> up to a point, but not code. Code belongs to the company I was
> working for,
> and I gently explain I defend their right to their code, just like I will
> defend the interviewer's code  in the future. It seemed that it
> worked cause
> I always got the job ;-)

I'm confused about this. Yes, the company owns the code but you're not
giving it away, right? I have no problem showing work that I did as a
designer for another company. If the new company asked me to "copy that old
site you did" then no, I wouldn't but what's the harm in showing that I did
it. I also don't have a problem with interviewers "viewing source" on sites
I've done the code work on. I'm sure that's different from cf but I don't
see that it is a huge leap.

> 2. as an interviewer, we would always ask code from juniors, never from
> senior programmer. We assume that they would not have made it to senior
> programmer in their previous jobs, if they were not good
> programmers. I also
> work in a relatively small city, and we know all the software companies
> around here. We know the standards applied in each company, so I
> guess that
> helps.

I would definitely agree with this thought. It's irritating to be challenged
on levels that you are above and beyond.

- amanda