[thelist] Offering contracts: Opinions on Etiquette?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Mon Nov 6 07:43:15 CST 2000

Hi Gang,

Interesting debate ...

Another viewpoint:

I was (very!) recently looking for a new job.      :-)

Early on in my search I "flunked" a telephone interview - because I didn't
have a personal site to point the prospective employer to.  For me, that was
an 'eye-opener'.

I decided it was MY responsibility to work up some examples to showcase the
kinds of things I could do for a new employer.

I bought a domain name.  I bought hosting.  I spent late nights throwing
together "rough" similations of work I had done for other folks.  That
allowed me to show working code to an interviewer and say things like "Yeah
- this uses MS Access - but I've done similar stuff for ABC Company using
Oracle. I'd have used Oracle here - but it's very expensive!"

I thought that was a reasonable way to go.

(The cost of the name and hosting is a very small investment for someone
looking for a 'real' job to make.)

Basically I think a prospect ought to be willing to tell you about the work
they've done for others ... but only show you the code on their personal
site.

My 2¢

Ron L.