[thelist] Penalties

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Thu Nov 9 09:02:19 CST 2000

Hi Jamie,

it's not very common practise - the majority of clients tend to frown upon
being charged for such things. Unfortunately it's a difficult problem to
solve at times. Careful project management from an early stage can help
manage the problem and also alert a contractor to a potential future
problem. However once you are past that stage it's down to good old
fashioned politics.

Having come across the problem several times, I have usually tackled it by
sitting with my primary client contact and firstly discussing the problem.
Make it clear that if the problem dowsn't resolve itself within a clear
timeframe you will be forced to put a hold on the project until the material
has arrived. Alternatively, you may discuss the possibility of going ahead
and launching with the areas where content has arrived and then adding in
the other areas once all the content is in.

It helps to produce a clear content requirements list for the client. You
could use this as the basis for the meeting. Often your main contact will be
all too willing to help, but other people in the organisation are slowing
things up. In this case, discuss all the possibilities with your main
contact. Generally, threatening to fine won't produce any results, but a
diplomatically posed deadline with the penalty being that you are going to
focus your resources on your more forthcoming clients may produce better
results.

Regarding your question about advertising, I loked at that yesterday and
decided that there was no answer! You ask to disregard all the factors that
actually decide an advert's price. Without taking such metrics as audience
figures, targetting, location etc into account there is no value to the
advert. Sorry, but you would really need to be more specific in the
question.

I hope all this helps

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com