[thelist] Intranet: your 10 critical questions

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Thu Nov 9 15:56:26 CST 2000

Gang

I work as an intranet consultant inside a fairly large corporation (72,000
employees)  We are going through a cost-cutting period and one of the "belt
tightening" rules is... no more paper newsletters inside the company.  I'm
expecting a sharp rise in the number of groups coming to my team for
intranet sites or help switching from paper to PDF format newsletters.

Tonight I'm writing a one or two page document to use as a "cheat sheet" so
when I go into meetings with new internal clients to discuss their ideas
for an intranet site, I don't miss any key ideas.

Just for thoroughness, I'd like your ideas for your "Top (N) Critical
Questions to Ask New Clients"  {where N is any small number}

1)      Some people will be coming to me who have no site yet.
2)      Some will have a site, but it won't be working right or isn't
meeting their team's needs.
3)      Some will have a working site, and will be looking for a visual
"sprucing up."
4)      Some will _think_ they need a site, but will actually need PDFs or
other electronic outlets (for instance, Lotus Notes, or other email)
5)      Some won't actually need my services, but may in the future.

I've got a bunch of ideas myself, but I suspect I've got blind spots from
working alone for so long.

Thanks in advance...

=Jorah