[thelist] Anyone here use Onelist/eGroups for their newsletters?

Bob Haroche bharoche at usa.net
Sat Nov 11 09:02:49 CST 2000

> The E-Groups list we had proved to be too confusing for our audience.

The egroups sign up is confusing because they provide you a sign up form
code to place on your page, but submitting that form only sends the user to
the home page of your egroups where they again have to sign up (this time
for real).  A work around is to use your own sign up form which calls a mail
form script which sends a blank email to: your_egroup-subscribe at egroups.com.
That makes unnecessary the user having to visit the egroups site altogether.

> people tend to complain about the ads included with every mail-out.

You can have them removed for $60/year.

All in all, egroups has been okay for me.  But forget about trying to ever
speak with a real person there.  It's one more  web business that thinks
it's so great it doesn't need anything more than an appearance of customer
support -- even for their paying customers.  The one time I really had to
speak to a human, I had to do a whois lookup for Yahoo, their parent
company, call them and then work my way through their bureaucracy to reach
an egroups person.