[thelist] Web site search

Zoe Oughton zoe.oughton at btconnect.com
Tue Nov 14 05:11:06 CST 2000

Hi Listees

I am looking into including a site search facility on our website.  And I
was wondering what experiences or advice anyone might have for such stuff?

Our site is not yet live, but it will be hosted remotely, so I do not have
any actual control of the server.  Should this make a difference on whether
I use remote or actual software.

Do people find it better to install software for a search facility, eg
Inktomi, or to use a remote search service that doesn't require any software
install, eg atomz.

This is the first time I am going to use a search facility on a web site, as
I have always believed that a good navigation structure is better than using
a search facility.  I have read so much about poor results and users getting
lost and confused by using searches on web sites, that I have, up till now,
avoided using them.  However, I have been asked to include this facility
both in our organisations Intranet and Internet sites.

So any advice, suggestions, experiences, help, etc, would be very gratefully
received.

We are a non profit organisation and the web site will be an information
source, not ecommerce.

TIA for any help on this.

Zoe
Zoe Oughton