[thelist] new web magazine - sitecheck please

Ben Henick persist1_pdx at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 10:31:06 CST 2000

--- Jeremy Brothers <jeremy_brothers at hotmail.com> wrote:
> and provide feedback.
>
> it's http://www.killingthebuddha.com

I have to agree with the conclusions made so far - the mouseovers are
confusing, the presentation is cluttered at 800x600, and there are
contrast issues on displays not set to the PC default.  Even then, the
contrast between your backgrounds and your subheaders is inadequate.

The clutter makes sense - the mission of the site is info & discussion,
so it's appropriate (if not essential) for the design to be cluttered
to a point.

What jumps out at me is the misuse of the space at the top of the page.
 While I admit that it's tempting (in a sort of reverse-psychology way,
given the prevalence of ad banners) to put a lot of whitespace there,
that needs special attention.

As important as the Manifesto is to the site, it's bad taste to put
your entire mission statement on the frontdoor.  I might add that IMO
the first paragraph is succinct enough to stand on its own as a
summary, and the whole thing could be given an interior page of its
own.

I do like the way the interior pages are put together (though they
could stand an increase in line-height, for the sake of readability).
The only thing I would change are the TOCs below the graphic in the
left column - the contrast here overwhelms the eye and frustrates the
user because of the small type used for the links themselves.  If
'twere me I'd reduce the contrast between the background and the
containing box, and increase the contrast between the links and the
containing box.  This means, in effect, re-examining the link colors
that you're using on the site...

I will be very interested to see what becomes of this site as it comes
into its own on the editorial level...

=====
Ben Henick              |  "In the long run, men hit only
Web Author At-Large     |  what they aim at.  Therefore,
www.io.com/persist1/    |  though they should fail
persist1 at io.com         |  immediately, they had better aim
persist1_pdx at yahoo.com  |  high."  --Henry David Thoreau