[thelist] Paragraphs within lists

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 16 09:20:30 CST 2000

have i told you how much i hate your mail client?

anyway, i'm not saying you can't have <p>s in lists, and i can't find
anything that says that... for all i know it's perfectly legal, it just
doesn't make sense to me...

but i'm not talking about presentational markup, i *am* talking
about structural...

a <p> is a block level container, just as a <blockquote>... i don't
know about you, but i don't nest <p>s within <blockquote>s, it
doesn't make sense to me to say to the browser "this is a quote,
but it's got normal paragraphs in it"... <p> is quite generic, and to
nest a generic block-level in a more appropriate block level seems
counter-intuitive to me...

the same for lists... by the very nature of lists, you can nest
them... otherwise they'd be pretty useless... so i tend to treat them
as exceptions.. i would put a <ul> in a <blockquote>, for instance,
implies that list is part of a quote of some sort...

you may recall that i will always avoid using a <div> or a <span> if
there is a better structural tag... you may recall my replacing a
structurally, and it was still as easy to apply CSS... the same is
true for <p>, it's just too generic... and there's no good reason i can

am i making any sense here?