[thelist] [Design] Link Color Dilemna

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 16 21:42:17 CST 2000

ok, let's see if i can offer anything... whether or not i'm a designer
is up to you... anyway, NN4.08/win98/33.6kbps/24-bit/640x480

- my first thought... "Whoah..."  that color scheme is...
interesting... orange and blue seems to be the big thing, but on a
black background it looks like orange with some not quite black
stuff... the lighter orange looks better, IMO... the blue is just too
dark... it's a bitch to see...

- doesn't fit in my 640px window... causes a slight scroll...

- the nav is a little odd for me... the text is all-caps (which i don't
much dig), it's light-weight, it's too dark, and 'BIO' is bigger than all
the rest... that and the right alignment don't make it say to me that
it's a nav header...

- you should replace the '--' at the very top with —... em-
dashes look better than double hyphens...

- the big orange sidebar offers no value to me as either a content
element or a navigation element... the descriptions you put there
seem inadequate... couple that with the scrollbar on the bottom,
and i think that you are throwing away space and cramming me to
the right... very uncomfortable to read, makes me tense...

- i hate centered footers, but i hate anything centered... break it up,
span it, something... and make the email link sans serif...

not much more to say right now... gotta make some calls...

> From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at mattwarden.com>
[...]
> I've got a cool color/colour scheme going (I think so anyway), but keeping the
> links blue (like they're supposed to be) is really fudging up the looks. The
> problem is really apparent on pages with (currently) little content. For
> example:
>
> http://www.mattwarden.com/new/contact.shtml
>
> The top nav is what's really bugging me, but on other pages, like my outdated
> resume:
>
> http://www.mattwarden.com/new/resume.shtml
>
> where links are abundant and even headers (though I can take the link off the
> header and add a "more detail" link or something), it looks mucho crappo.
[...]