[thelist] Tip Owed: WORKING AROUND LIVECONNECT PROBLEM FOR MAC/IE

Peter Barrett peterb at corel.com
Fri Nov 17 10:47:45 CST 2000

<TIP>
    Getting around the LiveConnect problem MAC/IE.

    MAC/IE does not support scripting into or out of java applets. However,
I ran across a clever solution (read: cool hack ;)  that can allow you to
communicate from javascript to applet and still support MAC's.

    The basic idea is to use js to launch a second applet with parameters
including the information you are trying to get into your already running
applet. The second applet can use getAppletContext or shared static
variables to obtain a reference to the first applet, at which point you can
do what you like.

    A full explanation can be found at:

    http://gallery.uunet.be/danny.tuypens/JStoJava2/JSJworkaround.htm

    NOTE: Return communication doesn't seem very clean to me (using
showDocument with the param on the URL). It's fine for communicating with
the server, but as far as I can tell, it will require at least a partial
reload (and unless you want to duplicate code, a full reload for NN) of
class files if sending to an HTML page. Still, this is a good start.

Cheers!
</TIP>