[thelist] Further ASP/Access Questions

Bailey, Dan dbailey2 at healthaxis.com
Mon Nov 20 11:57:38 CST 2000

Okay, I am building a database in Access with a web interface (of course).
I have a <TEXTAREA> where people can enter a block of text.  I'm using
VBScript.  Here's my questions:

1.  I am concerned about adding the contents of the TEXTAREA to the database
-- particularly people using things like single- and double-quotes, which
will, of course, break the SQL Statement.  Anyone know, off the top of their
head, a way to convert the text entered into the TEXTAREA into a string that
I can insert into my SQL statement?

2.  With the Fontosaurus site I built, I discovered that the database seems
to limit the maximum # of characters that can be entered into a field.  I've
been ignoring this and keeping descriptions short, but is there another data
type I can employ that will allow for longer pieces of data in the field?

Thanks for all your help.

-- Dan