[thelist] Netscape Only error using CF and Oracle *

Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Mon Nov 20 15:29:11 CST 2000

> All ColdFusion does is pass the stuff (SQL) to your DB.
> ColdFusion doesn't have a SQL engine it itself.

hi raymond

couldn't help noticing from your sig file that you are from allaire

welcome to evolt.borg -- oops, i mean evolt.org

you realize, of course, that by identifying yourself, you raise our
expectations that you will answer all the *tough* product-related
questions   ;o)

as you can see there's at least one other vendor listmember here, from
macromedia

jd's act will be a tough one to follow (but it looks like you're doing
fine) -- he's always friendly, often humourous, as well as being very
informative, while at the same time *not* coming across as a commercial
for his company...  altogether very cool...

__

about the sql -- yes indeed, every database has a different flavour of
sql, which is something not immediately obvious to web developers building
their first database-enabled site, although anybody that has ported an
access database to some other format will know this   ;o)

> [CF5] -will- have CFSQL, which will allow you to write a
> query against an existing query.

well, that is pretty darn cool

do you have to run the first query first, to get it into cache as query
results?

the reason i ask....

<tip type="msaccess sql">
in microsoft access, you create the equivalent of an sql VIEW by writing a
query based on another query
  example: save the following query as CurrMonth
      select Foo1, Foo2 from Bar
       where FooDate
          between DateAdd("m",-1,Date())
              and Date()
  note: this is actually "within the last xx days"
        instead of "current month" but i didn't know
        what else to call it  ;o)
if you will be using the second query in msaccess only, here's how to
define it
  - from the menu bar select Query, Show Table
  - in the dialog window that pops up, press the Queries tab
  - select your query, press Add, then Close
  - define and save your query
if you will be using the second query in a web page, you don't actually
have to define or save it in msaccess, you can just run it in your web
page inside the CFQUERY tags
  example:
    <cfquery name="lilabner" datasource="#data#">>
      select Foo1 from CurrMonth
       where Foo2 > 'schmoo'
    </cfquery>
in this regard, the msaccess query behaves exactly like an sql VIEW -- you
can *think* of it as running the second query against the result rows from
the first query, although the dabatase (inlcuding the msaccess jet engine)
will combine the criteria "under the covers" and actually only run one
query
</tip>

from what little i know of cf, i'm guessing that CFSQL will act only
within the cf engine on the query results already returned from the
database

please correct me if this is not right

rudy
r937.com