[thelist] Netscape Only error using CF and Oracle *

Raymond K. Camden rcamden at allaire.com
Mon Nov 20 15:39:03 CST 2000

> welcome to evolt.borg -- oops, i mean evolt.org

Thanks, nice to be here. :>

> you realize, of course, that by identifying yourself, you raise our
> expectations that you will answer all the *tough* product-related
> questions   ;o)

Errr, well, I'll try my best. Of course, be aware that I'm not the 'voice of
Allaire'. I've never really been any good at the whole corporate-voice type
thing. ;)

> > [CF5] -will- have CFSQL, which will allow you to write a
> > query against an existing query.
>
> do you have to run the first query first, to get it into cache as query
> results?

Well - err, yes, it has to be a query. See below.

> the reason i ask....
>
> <tip type="msaccess sql">
> > from what little i know of cf, i'm guessing that CFSQL will act only
> within the cf engine on the query results already returned from the
> database

Ah, it seems like your asking, and I could be wrong, does it matter -what
kind of query- it is. The answer is no. First off, big ole disclaimer
time -> CF 5 is still in development. All I'm relating is what was talked
about at the conference as a POSSIBLE implementation. Even though I work for
Allaire, I'm a grunt like everyone else so I don't know the whole story.

Ok, anyway, the cool thing about CFSQL is that it can run against -any- kind
of query. For example, imagine using CFPOP to retrieve email into a query.
Then imagine using CFLDAP to query a LDAP server. You could then use CFSQL
to create a new query out of those two existing (but very different)
queries(what -is- the correct spelling for the plural of query? :) that
joins LDAP user info about the user linked to the 'From' field of the email.

Here is a simple example:
<CFQUERY NAME="GetItAll" DATASOURCE="Foo">
	SELECT * FROM HugeTable
</CFQUERY>

Imagine this code is run in Application.cfm and stored into an application
variable. It's run once and only once. Now, in any script, you can do:

<CFQUERY not sure of the exact args>
	SELECT * FROM TheQuery, not the database
	WHERE
		Field1 < X AND
		Field2 > Y AND
		Name = '%Camden%'
</CFQUERY>

As you can see, we did one big query on top to get all the data and store it
in ram. After we've done that, we can do use normal SQL commands to parse
the data.

Again, this is all subject to change, but if it comes out like I think it
will be, this is a -very- cool feature. You can find out more about CF 5 by
going to www.allaire.com/conference and viewing the first keynote. (You can
see ugly ole me if you view the second say keynote. :)

Raymond Camden, Principal Spectra Compliance Engineer for Allaire

Email   : jedimaster at allaire.com
ICQ UIN : 3679482