[thelist] Confused by 'ems'...

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 22 09:47:50 CST 2000

> From: JTocher <janice at discoverysystems.com>
>
> Thanks for the tip. This brings up a question... per my client's request,
> they want to 'link' a stylesheet to the main page for their content editors.
> Will this linked stylesheet not take precedence over any stylesheet served
> up based on javascript detection of the browser?

a linked stylesheet will be overridden by any styles set in the head
of the document, and those will be overridden by any inline styles...

however, you can have more than one linked style sheet, or
however you want to do it, as long as you know that classes of the
same name (as well as ids and tags) get overridden in that
manner...

> also, they wanted to NOT use the pt or px sizes so that the text will be
> scaled according to the size selected by the user.

did you try %?  at the very least, you should try % for line height,
since using other units caused printing wonkiness in NN4.x (like 50
pages worth of paper with one line of text each)...

i know there was a good thread about the problem with ems a
couple months ago... anyone got those messages?