[thelist] digital camera shopping

M. Hannan desmoljones at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 22 14:53:42 CST 2000

Beware the sub-200's...or at least expect to get what you pay for.  The
640x480 crapameras are a shoe-in to disappoint.  If you can squeeze the
money out of your piggybank then get at least a 1 megapixel camera...which
is decent but not wowish.  2x megapixels are great to write home about, 3.3
is ohmygawdlookithat.

Features and format are more important than brand name.  Standard smart
cards are best, tiff/jpeg are better than proprietary format (don't get
anything that's not a standard 4:3 ratio either, those are just plain
weird).  USB is a plus.  That being said I'm partial to Olympus.

m@

<tip>
Digital cameras are great, but don't pull a pic off your your 3.3
megagooglepixel camera onto your PIIII/6trillion and upload it to your site
via your DSL connection then tell all your friends stuck in 56k land to
"look at this"....chances are that a year-and-a-half later they'll see
640x480 (or 800x600) of a dark corner of a great picture that is 6000 times
larger than their screen resolution.
</tip>