[thelist] Who's more stupid?

Rob Keniger rob at bigbang.net.au
Thu Nov 23 01:22:52 CST 2000

on 11/23/00 4:03 PM, Frank at framar at interlog.com wrote:

> We deal with an ISP we're on fairly familiar terms with. Today, I got an email
> from the admin asking a technical question about how I had set up some joins
> in
> one of my product's database.
>
> What?

That's my reaction. I can't believe this.

> When I asked to clarify whether he was building a product based on ours, to
> resell to other customers, he essentially (and casually) said yes. (WTF was he
> thinking?!)

This is completely, totally and utterly illegal. Talk to a good IP lawyer
immediately.

> Now, as he is our unique supplier of CF ISP services, and the admin, I've got
> some serious, serious thinking to do about protecting our materials.
>
> I know I can encrypt my code- can I decrypt it? And can I encrypt my database
> in
> such a way that it functions, and yet still not allow him, with his Admin God
> status to get the password?
>
> I don't know who'se more stupid: Me for trusting in a business situation, or
> him
> for outright telling me that he's screwing me over.

It doesn't matter. Unless you signed a contract to the contrary then you
have an iron-clad case against them. What they have done is illegal and
immoral. Don't even bother trying to encrypt your code. Speak to a lawyer.

--

Rob Keniger

big bang solutions

<mailto:rob at bigbang.net.au>