[thelist] UK: Disability Discrimination and Web Site Design

Zoe Oughton zoe.oughton at btconnect.com
Thu Nov 23 09:18:36 CST 2000

>> However, my boss does not like the default PC font size on most browsers, he
>> thinks it is too big and insists that I make it smaller.  My reaction was to
>> explain about accessibility, but he was insistant saying that if needed we
>> can add pages to the site later for those who wanted more control
>> themselves!!!! >:o(
>
> At the risk of being flippant, is there any way to hack his PC (and any he
> looks at) so that /his/ default size is acceptable, and let it slide as is?
Er, no, he knows his computer stuff!!!!!

>> I have spent lots of time looking at what is the best way to control font
>> sizes, but still giving users some control.  NOT easy!!!
>
> :)
>
>> I have read that many articles about:
>>
>> 'Only use pt for font size'
>> 'never use pt for font size'
>> 'only use em for font size'
>> 'never use em for font size'
>> 'only use % for font size'
>> 'never use % for font size'
>>
>> My head is realing with all the contradictory advice regarding font size and
>> accessibility, and I am still non the wiser!:o(
>
> Personally I use ems, with a server-side browser detect to serve different
> CSS files depending on browser and platform. I'll tend to use a default em
> setting on the Mac side that I like the look/feel off, (eg. 0.9 em), then
> set up an identical style sheet for the PC with the point size approx. 20%
> smaller (eg. 0.75 em). That usually accounts for the size difference across
> platforms. Each style/size I set is an absolute em value, so that is is
> always in pro. to the browser's local settings, and stays in pro. to other
> text on the page.
I have a JavaScript browser detect to serve CSS files. I would like to use a
server-side cgi script, but I am not a script writer and have been unable to
find a suitable script anywhere - I have searched long and hard!!!!
However my JavaScript only provides for 4 different style sheets: PC IE, PC
NN, Mac IE and Mac NN.  I now feel that I should add Mac IE5 and up, and Mac
NN6 and up as these new Mac browsers tend to render fonts differently from
previous browsers on the Mac.  So I have the problem of finding a suitable
script.
I have considered using em, but again I have read that it is not good
practice to use em!!!

> As I understand it, a value of 1 em on a browser set to 16pt size will give
> 16pt, while the same text with a 0.5 em value will give an 8pt size. On a
> browser with 12pt text, the same settings will give 12pt and 6pt. If that
> isn't strictly correct, that at least seems to be the case.
>
> I have heard that ems on particular versions of Netscape screw up printing,
> but as I believe it is better to offer a "print version" of each page as
> plain, unstyled text, that is not an issue.
>
>> I think I might use % as it seems to be the one element that still gives
>> users some control themselves. But if anyone has any better advice I am all
>> ears!!
>
> If you need more details/examples of some of the things I've figured out for
> better accessability let me know.
I am always keen to know of anything for better accessibility as I am sure
it will definatelly become a major issue in the future.

Thanks Andy, for the input.
I am still not sure if I am any the wiser though  :o)

>> I think it is important that these issues are dealt with as soon as possible
>> because it could eventually affect all of us.  I have downloaded the
>> Disability Discrimination Act, Code of Conduct and will read it as soon as I
>> get a chance.  Like Richard I will report on anything I find out.
>
> I too have grabbed a copy and am studying it. Immediate questions arise
> about the section on manufacturers of goods do not need to worry as the
> store selling them is liable; do we - as 3rd party web designers - count as
> 'manufacturing' goods, that the client then offers as a service?
To be seen, to be seen........

Zoe

Zoe Oughton
zoe.oughton at btconnect.com