[thelist] Using SSI for site design

Zoe Oughton zoe.oughton at btconnect.com
Fri Nov 24 09:02:44 CST 2000

Hi listees

I am building a new web site for an organisation.  The site will eventually
be big, and I expect that I will get requests for site wide changes in the
future :o(

To make such site management easier I am incorporating SSI for standard
sections of each web page, the header, the footer, and some side bar
navigation links.  This will enable me to make changes in only a few files
rather than every page on the site.  Sensible site management yes????

Now, it has come to my understanding that some people within my organisation
will occasionally require a copy of the web site on a laptop hard drive - so
that the site can be viewed without internet access.

However, the SSI sections of each web page can only be seen when the site is
viewed via the host server.  The SSI bits of code cannot be viewed when the
browser is reading the page from the computer hard drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this problem???
Is there anyway for getting the SSI to work when the site is on the computer
hard drive???

I would really appreciate some help on this.

Zoe

Zoe Oughton
zoe.oughton at btconnect.com