[thelist] Netscape 6 - mouseover test

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 27 15:21:23 CST 2000

> From: Peter-Paul Koch <ppk at xs4all.nl>
[...]
> 1) Go to http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/preload/. WinNT users, please activate
> your Task Manager.
> 2) Do absolutely *nothing* while the page loads (there are 12 images of 6K
> each, so it may take a little while).
> 3) When the page is ready, roll your mouse over the coloured bit. Now you
> should see a mouseover that executes fairly well, just as it should do
> (maybe a bit slow).

executes quite well...

> 4) Shift-Reload the page and now *don't* wait for the end of loading but
> start mousing over the images immediately. Now you should see a very slow
> and erratic mouseover. In addition, WinNT users will see that NN6 uses
> about 60% of CPU time (compared to about 15% in the first test).

yes, the mouseover is hosed... it looks like it's trying to find the
image to do the rollover, and not letting it download while it's
looking, like it's holding onto the file... or something...

and there is CPU chewage of between 20 and 40 more percentage
points on this rollover attempt vs. the first one...

[...]
> So if my test results are correct, it means that mouseovers may not be
> executed *before* all of the images involved in it have been loaded. The
> only problem is, we already tried to write such a script and it helped a
> bit, but not enough.

sounds about right from what i've seen...